Sunday, June 15, 2014

Classroom That Suits You!

Over the years I have worked in the school setting I have learned that you feel better when you have a warm and inviting environment! I also learned that your classroom does not have to look like a cold uninteresting classroom. Last summer I was determined to decorate my space so that it would be warm and comfortable, have Katie (me) written all over it! And also functional for my students and their therapy. Below are a few ideas that I used in my speech room that help suck the boredom out of the jail cell stale classroom!!

1. Desk Top Sticky Note Pad

If you are like me, you go through tons of these throughout the week. I like this because it is simple but it adds a touch of elegance to your desk. Its very easy to put together. Just a $1 picture frame and your choice of scrapbook paper. Of course you can add ribbons and other cool stuff. That's the beauty of it, its personalized to fit you and your personality 


2. Curtain Rods!

This is actually a GREAT idea and it really looks great in the classroom. Makes you look real fancy!!! LOL Last year I placed photo's of my 9 week superstars in the frames with a little write up of their favorite things. Or you can place important notices/documents in the frames. If the picture frames are not for you... this can be used to hold storage pails for your pens, pencils, markers,etc 


3. Picture Frame Calendar 

This idea not only looks good but it also makes life easier! Its a regular picture frame and you insert a calendar in it and you can use it as a dry erase board! It will last you throughout the year or you can change it to fit a holiday or time of year. Me... I left it the same the entire year and just erased the writings from month to month. You can write school events or students birthdays so you will not forget! If you like the idea but not the calendar , no problem. My first time doing this I used it a standard dry erase board and I would just write notes/reminders to my self. This is why I like this idea, because you can use in a way that works best for you!  


4. Home Depot Aprons

Now I did not do this personality but my good friend/coworker, K Griffin, did these for her computer lab. This was an awesome idea because she place scrap paper and pencils in each and the students did not have to get up if they needed anything it was right there tied to their chair! Of course she didn't want to place these apron with the Home Depot square on it so she just glued some trendy fabric to it and no on really knew what it actually was!! Cute huh?!?! 



I hope you found at least one idea that you liked and can also help you classroom life both fabulous and a whole lot easier!! :-) 

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I am moving to my own speech room next year, and I'm starting to look for ways to decorate it over the summer. I especially love the aprons on the backs of chairs! Thanks!

    Abby
    Schoolhouse Talk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Abby good for you! Its nothing like having your OWN space!! I will be posting a few more things throughout the summer so hopefully you will see something else that will work well with your new space!! :-)

    ReplyDelete